My favorite things to spread SunButter on are apples and chocolate. It’s pretty much a guarantee that if I have an open SunButter On-The-Go cup in one hand then I have an apple slice in the other! Apples and SunButter are the perfect taste combination, which is how I came up with this nut, dairy & egg free dessert recipe for this year’s allergy awareness week recipe, SunButter Apple Dessert Recipe.
Disclaimer: I am a SunButter Blog Partner, which means that I get compensated by SunButter to write posts that include their product. This is one of the posts that we collaborated on. The ideas, recipe, photos, and editing are all my own and I only work with companies who I believe in.
Did you know that SunButter is now free of the top 8 allergens? Read more about their allergy information here.
Do you remember my recipe for Cakies? The dessert that is shaped like a cookie with texture like cake? Well, I used that recipe and switched up the flavors to create this delicious apple cake. I then used a Twinkie pan to make these individual sized cakes.
Why the teal frosting?
This week, May 8 – May 14, is Food Allergy Awareness week! It’s when we spread as much awareness as possible to get the word out about food allergies because when you know better, you do better! People all around the nation are wearing teal, changing their facebook photos, sharing food allergy graphics, lighting buildings up in teal, and educating those around them about the severity of food allergies and anaphylaxis.
SunButter Apple Dessert Recipe
- 1 box allergy-friendly vanilla cake mix
- 1 21oz. can apple pie filling
- 3 eggs or EnerG Egg Replacer for 3 eggs
- 1 10oz bag of allergy-friendly chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup SunButter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk (I used rice milk)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk (I used rice milk)
- 2 drops of blue food dye
- 1 drop of green food dye
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray twinkie pan (muffin tin will also work) with oil and sprinkle with a bit of the cake mix to ensure that the cake doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Mix half of the cake mix with the entire can of apple pie filling in one bowl and mix the other half of cake mix with the 3 eggs (or egg substitute) in another bowl. Once both are mixed well, combine them and stir gently.
- Fill the twinkie pan about 2/3 of the way full with the cake mixture. Cook for approx. 18-25 minutes or when toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan before cooling on a rack.
- Empty entire bag of chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in increments of 30 seconds and stir. Continue until the chocolate is completely melted being careful not to burn it or yourself! That bowl gets hot!
- Holding each cake over the chocolate bowl, slowly spoon melted chocolate over the cake allowing the chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Move the covered cake onto a waxed paper cookie sheet and refrigerate for approx. 10 minutes until chocolate is hardened.
- Mix the SunButter drizzle in a small bowl and the teal icing in another small bowl. Once cakes are hardened remove them from the refrigerator and slowly drizzle each one with the two icings. For best results store the cakes in the refrigerator.