This Sticky Sweet Chicken Appetizer – dairy, nut, egg, gluten free is sure to please not just those with diet restrictions, but everyone’s taste buds! I’ve also included a soy-free option making this appetizer top8free! It’s great for New Year’s Eve, Super Bowl Sunday, holidays and get-togethers. I love that this app can be made ahead of time and warmed up in the microwave before serving, freeing up precious oven space for other items.
I don’t love artificial food dye. That being said I found maraschino cherries which use natural color and natural flavoring by Farm to Market at my local grocery store. You can tell in the pictures that the cherries still have a gorgeous pop of red color that I was hoping for and they taste great!
Sticky Sweet Chicken Appetizer – dairy, nut, egg, gluten free
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE SCREEN SHOTS OF RECIPES.
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Tablespoons of cooking oil
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce (or coconut aminos for a soy-free option)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can of pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 jar of maraschino cherries, drained
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pat chicken dry. Mix all of the wet ingredients and salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook chicken in oil until the edges turn white and it’s nicely browned. Flip chicken and cook for about another 3 minutes until both sides of chicken are browned.
- Empty mixture into pan with the chicken and turn heat to low. Allow the sauce to cook and get sticky, making sure to flip the chicken over to allow the sticky mixture to cover the chicken. Add the pineapple and cherries and toss to coat with mixture.
- Using long wooden picks, stab one cherry, one pineapple and one piece of chicken and put onto an appetizer platter. Serve warm.