Who can resist a pancake in the shape of a gingerbread man??? Not this girl! 🙂 What started as an awesome idea that I saw on Pinterest, soon became a crazy, sticky, melted mess. DOH! But what’s new right? I mean if you saw my post about making chocolate advent calendars then you know I’m not one to shy away from a little mess.
First, what NOT to do. Do NOT attempt to put the cookie cutter onto the pan and pour the batter inside. The first batch will partially work. However, the batter sticks to the inside of the cutter making a sticky, gooey mess making the second batch next to impossible. Yes, I did grease the inside of the cookie cutters.
Instead, I made the pancakes first and then pressed the cookie cutters into each finished pancake. Then I cut the leftover pancake into bite size pieces and sprayed lightly with oil and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. This made a yummy snack!!!
The allergy free pancake recipe that I used today is the following:
2 cups flour (gluten free flour can be substituted if needed)
2 Tbsp white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup of milk (we use rice milk, but almost any “milk” will work)
1 egg OR EnerG egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg
4 Tbsp canola oil
- Combine all dry ingredients in medium size bowl.
- Combine all wet ingredients in separate small bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and beat until smooth.
- Preheat oiled pan over med heat.
- Pour approx 1/4 cup of batter onto hot pan. Flip when bubbles start to form.
- Cool cooked pancakes on cooling rack.
- Press cookie cutters into pancakes making any shapes you prefer.
- Cut leftover pieces into bite size and lightly spray with oil and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
These pancakes are fantastic frozen!!! I make triple or sometimes even quadruple batches and freeze them. Just pop them in the microwave or toaster oven in the morning for a quick breakfast.