Now that the warm weather is gone I can focus on those recipes that make you want to snuggle up next to a fire on a cool day. That is exactly what this pot roast recipe will do, which is also free of the top 8 allergens (dairy, egg, soy, fish, shellfish, peanut, tree nut, and wheat) and gluten. It’s also free of garlic and pea protein. The sour cream used does contain soy.
|The Best Allergy-Friendly Pot Roast|
Allergy-Friendly Pot Roast
4 lb chuck roast or bottom round roast
1 sweet onion, sliced
1/2 bag baby carrots, cut in half
4 red potatoes, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 can tomato juice
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken or beef broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
allergy-friendly cheese and sour cream*
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Cook onion, carrots, potatoes and celery on the stove top in a dutch oven with 2 Tbs oil for about 5 minutes, set vegetables aside.
- Brown the roast in 2 Tbsp of oil on all sides in the same dutch oven for about 1-2 minutes each side until brown.
- Add the vegetables back to the pan along with the remaining ingredients and cook covered for 4 hours.
- Top with your favorite allergy-friendly cheese and sour cream.
EBL Food Allergies
*I used Follow Your Heart American Slices and Follow Your Heart Sour Cream. They are the only products I’ve been able to find locally that are free of dairy, egg, peanut and pea protein (the American Slices are also soy-free). Follow Your Heart did not sponsor this post, however they did offer to send coupons for the cost of the products used. Honestly, I was just suuuppper happy to find “cheese” my son could actually eat!
Did you see my reaction on Periscope (live video) when I found the products at my local Whole Foods Store? This was my very first time Periscoping in public, which was sooo scary for me! Follow me as I shop and read labels for my son who has multiple food allergies. How did I do? Watch it here: