Vegan, Gluten Free Christmas Donuts are chocolate, chocolate chip donuts with vanilla peppermint icing, perfect for Christmas morning. I’ve also heard from a secret source that Santa and Mrs. Claus are growing tired of cookies and would love a donut or two to refuel from their long, busy nights!
This recipe is pretty versatile. It’s really a muffin recipe that I cooked inside of a donut pan. Donuts are much easier to eat due to their shape. Don’t you agree? I also don’t know of a single safe donut that can be purchased within an hour of us that is free from his allergens, which is the main reason why I make a DOUBLE batch of these gorgeous donuts and freeze some of them unfrosted!
The secret to the icing recipe is simple. I use store-bought frosting and heat it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and pour it on top of the donuts. SO EASY! Make sure to sprinkle with the crushed candy canes before the frosting sets or your candy won’t stick!
Vegan, Gluten Free Christmas Donuts
- 2 1/2 cups of gluten free flour (I used King Arthur Gluten Free Flour)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs or egg replacer (I used EnerG Egg Replacer)
- 1 1/2 cups of maple apple sauce (doesn’t have to be maple)
- 1/4 cup safe baking oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup safe, chocolate chips
Icing and Topping:
- 1 container of vanilla frosting
- 1/2 package of crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine egg replacer, apple sauce, oil, and cocoa powder in a mixer and blend on low.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the mixer and increase the speed to medium.
- Fold the chocolate chips into mixture and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- If making donuts, pour the mixture into the corner of a resealable plastic bag. Snip one corner off the bag and pipe the mixture into a donut pan. Make sure to only add a small amount otherwise it will bake over the center hole. Bake the donuts for approximately 11 minutes.
- If making muffins, fill the muffin liners half way and bake for approx. 28-33 minutes.
- Allow the donuts to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack.
- Empty the frosting into a microwavable safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir. Repeat this process until the frosting has turned into a thick, soupy consistency and pour over each donut. Immediately sprinkle with the crushed candy candy, while the frosting is still wet.
Happy Holidays and Enjoy!