Smiley Squares are a perfect Valentine’s Day Snack. I’ve made them a few times this month and we all would fight over the last one. They’re made with cereal and packed with protein from SunButter, making them suitable for a snack before lunch! Last week I made them and piped footballs on them for the Super Bowl! I’ll be the first one to tell you that piping smiley faces is a whole lot easier than footballs.
The bottom layer of these snacks are made with marshmallow, SunButter and gluten free crispy brown rice cereal. They’re topped with a small layer of allergy-friendly chocolate. I used semi-sweet and dark chocolate and I was inspired by one of my favorite emojis while making the smiley faces. The heart shaped eyes were just perfect for Valentines day!
Smiley Squares Valentine’s Day Snack
Please do not take screen shots of recipes. Thank you!
- 3 tablespoons of Earth Balance buttery sticks
- 1 package (10 oz) of marshamallows
- 1/2 cup SunButter
- 5 cups of crispy brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chips (I used half semi-sweet and half dark, but any combo will work)
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly icing (try this top8free recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large pot melt buttery sticks over medium heat. Add marshmallows and continue cooking and stirring until completely melted. Mix in the SunButter and stir and heat until melted. Add brown rice cereal, turn heat to low and stir really well!
- Empty the mixture onto a greased or wax paper lined 9×12 pan. I like to use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to push the mixture down into the pan. Spread the chocolate chips on top and place in the oven for 5-8 minutes just to melt the chips. Use a spatula and spread the melted chocolate all on top of the snacks. Allow to cool completely before slicing into squares.
- Once the squares are cut, decorate the top of each with a smiley face with heart shaped eyes (perfect for Valentines day).