Well hello there, friends. It’s been a few years since my last post and I hope that you’re all doing well. I can’t believe how much has changed here on WordPress since I last posted in 2017! Hopefully I can still do this!
I have been making this chili for a while now. I’ve adjusted some of the measurements and I think I’ve got it down to what my family likes best. My youngest isn’t a big fan of anything spicy, which includes this chili. I suggest that you attempt making it the first time with the measurements that I have listed and tweaking it a little to adjust to your family’s taste buds.
One of the things that I hate when I’m working from a recipe is having to scroll from the directions to the ingredients listing and back again to find out how much of something I’m supposed to use and then back to the directions. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. Irritating. I’ll be sure to have the measurements listed in the directions to avoid having go back and forth and to make it easier to follow the directions while cooking.
Can you think of anything else that would be helpful to you when attempting to cook from a recipe? Let me know in the comments below.
The Best, Easy Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground meat (I usually use beef or turkey)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 10 oz can diced tomato with green chilis
- 3 cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I usually use 1 can each of black, kidney and chili beans)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp sugar or sugar substitute
- In a large dutch oven or a large stew pot cook the 2 lbs of ground beef until no longer pink. Drain the fat and discard. Set aside the cooked ground beef.
- Using the same pan heat 1 Tbsp oil and add the 2 chopped onions and the 1 tsp of minced garlic.
- Add the 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp chili powder to the same pan stirring slowly.
- Next, add the 2 lbs. of ground meat back to the pan along with the 15 oz can of tomato sauce, a 10 oz can diced tomato with green chilis, 3 cans of beans, 1 cup of beef broth and 1 Tbsp of sugar or sugar substitute.
- Cook uncovered for about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Topping Ideas (not all toppings are free of top 8 allergens):
- dairy free cheese – We like So Delicious and Violife the best
- shredded lettuce
- dairy free sour cream – We like Tofutti
- crushed tortilla chips
- safe corn bread
Be sure to continue following the blog for more updated recipes. Feel free to write your questions and comments below and I’ll try to get back to you asap.