My Mom makes the BEST macaroni and cheese. The kind with crumbled crackers on top and gooey cheese in the middle! YUM! I haven’t made it in years, until I made this dairy-free, vegan recipe last night. 🙂
My oldest son requested that I make it and that’s just what I did.
Finding cheese that would work in the recipe and that is also safe for my youngest son to eat was the hard part. Luckily I came across Follow Your Heart cheese a few months back that is safe for us! The American Slices don’t contain any pea protein, soy, dairy, egg, garlic, or gluten, which makes them safe for us! WOO HOO!! Read more about their allergy statement here. I’d also like to add that this is NOT a sponsored post, paid post, and I do not and have not ever received free product from Follow Your Heart. Not gonna lie, I’m hoping this changes in the future because it’s a product that I believe in and a product that we use every day and I will only work with companies that I believe in and use!
Now for the recipe, because we all know that’s the real reason you’re here!
Mom’s Macaroni and Cheese made Allergy-Friendly
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta following directions on the box.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over low-med heat. Slowly add flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add milk while constantly whisking. Increase temp to medium heat and add cheese, occasionally stirring to help melt. Whisking the mixture quickly helps break the cheese down to a liquid state. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl mix the crushed crackers and oil and set aside.
- Add the pasta to a round casserole dish and pour melted cheese sauce on top of pasta. Mix well to ensure the cheese sauce covers all of the pasta. Add the crushed crackers to the top of the pasta and bake, uncovered for 30 minutes.