What did I do? For starters…I didn’t take an amazing picture (*new updated picture posted above). I’m sorry, I was just too hungry. I just whipped out my trusty iphone and snapped a pic before digging in. Normally I would wait to post about this recipe and take a fancy shmancy photo, but I want to quickly get it to my blog so that I don’t lose the recipe like I have been known to do in the past. The iphone pic will have to do…for now.My original Facebook post stated:
I made this tonight with a few tweaks! I omitted the red wine and garlic, added 1 lb. of ground turkey (my little man needs protein), only used 1 cup of broth, and omitted the mushrooms (my oldest hates mushrooms).Oh, I also totally cheated on the mashed potatoes and bought the microwaveable frozen mashed. Sooooo much easier.It was deeeelish!!!!!!
Instead of you attempting to figure out what I actually did, I’ll write it all out for ya. Aren’t I sweet?
|Allergy Friendly Shepherd’s Pie|
Allergy Friendly Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 lb. ground lean turkey
- 3 carrots, washed and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, washed and sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh sage
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Steam n’ Mash Russet Potatoes by Ore Ida
- salt & pepper to taste
- rice milk
- Cook the ground turkey in a large pan over medium heat with 1 Tbsp oil for approx 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove turkey and set aside.
- Microwave the Steam n’ Mash potatoes for 10 minutes, following direction on the bag.
- Cook all the veggies in the same pan over medium heat with 1 Tbsp oil until cooked. Add the turkey back to the pan.
- Add the tomato paste, flour, and spices mixing well. Slowly add the broth while constantly stirring. Simmer 3-5 minute to thicken.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes by adding them to a large bowl and mixing oil, rice milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- Empty the turkey & veggie mixture into a casserole dish and top with the prepared mashed potatoes.
- Broil for 10-15 minutes, watching carefully so that it doesn’t burn!
This recipe will be added to our rotating menu for sure! Hopefully next time I can make a nicer pic!